Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Friday, November 11, 2011

Quote of the day

Quote of the day:
"I don't understand you when you speak Vietnamese. It is easier for you to speak English to me, and I will understand. When you said you wanted a banh mi, it would have been better for you to just ask for a bread." - one of the English major students (not in any of my classes) who works at the English department-run cafe at Ha Tinh University 
Granted, my Vietnamese sucks. I will totally concede that fact. However, the majority of my students can't understand me in English on a regular basis. I find it hard to believe that my Vietnamese is that bad that barely-conversant English speakers would prefer I speak English to them over their native language. Oy vey.

In other news, today was a beautiful and hot day in Ha Tinh City, so I decided to carpe diem and venture to Thien Cam Beach. The entire ride there, my heart was racing, and I was so nervous. I felt like I was racing against time, or against the sun, or the weather, or something. I kept repeating "Don't start raining. Don't start raining. Please be sunny. Please be sunny."

Turns out, the further I got out of Ha Tinh City and the closer I got to Thien Cam Beach, the cooler and cloudier it got. At the beginning of my ride there, I was cursing myself for not thinking to bring sunblock. However, towards the end of my ride there, I realized sunblock would have been unnecessary, and I was cursing myself for not wearing long-sleeves or bringing an extra layer.

Oh well. The beach was deserted, so I went for a nice stroll in the surf. I had some yummy fish for lunch, so overall, the day was not lost. I just wish it had been maybe 5 degrees warmer.

However, the highlight of my day was definitely driving through Old MacDonald's Vietnamese Farm to and from the beach. I saw cows of all shapes and sizes, some lying down for a nap, some mounting each other, some licking their babies, and some running at speeds that I did not think cows were built to move at. I saw some sweet puppies frollicking and kissing each other, some Mamma puppies, and even some Shadow puppies. I also saw some chickens crossing the road (yes, I actually laughed out loud to myself while driving the motorbike at the thought of the ridiculous Why-Did-The-Chicken-Cross-The-Road jokes). There were a few horsies and water buffalo, but the cows and puppies were definitely the best part of the day.

In completely other news, I went to figure out some visa stuff today. After a lot of finger-pointing and "No, that's Fulbright's responsibility! That isn't our job to do this!" and "No, but actually, Fulbright is telling me that you need to do this" back-and-forth between me and Ms. Linh, not much got accomplished. I am hoping that Mr. Duc will swoop in and save the day by intervening on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like seeing the animals was a lot of fun. Too bad the cafe student doesn't want you to practice your Vietnamese. I thought you sounded pretty good!

    ReplyDelete