I do not want to jinx anything, so I will only passive-aggressively suggest that my Internet may be working better than it has been, which means that maybe I can take up blogging once again. With that said, I would like to update you about the past two weeks!!
 |
| Here we are on our first night of the cruise on the Mekong Eyes. Sure, I didn't love the content of the cruise, but the scenery sure was lovely! |
 |
| And who could say no to roof-top breakfasts looking out at the water? |
 |
| We went to the Can Tho floating market, which is apparently the biggest floating market in the delta. People set up their wares on the back of big (yet dilapidated) boats. This boat takes fast food to a whole new level: a floating pho vendor! Ingenious, right? Naturally, it was my favorite "shop" that we saw all day. |
 |
| We were spoiled by lovely views. |
 |
| And during one of our excursions where we tramped through people's backyards to gawk at their ways of living, I met this dog who didn't seem rabid. I took a chance and pet him, and have not suffered any serious consequences since then. He was quite friendly and sweet. |
 |
| I also got to try sticky rice banana cakes, which were DELICIOUS. |
 |
| And we got to see all kinds of fruits growing in the tropical jungle! Here are some baby pineapples! |
 |
| And a sunset. |
 |
| After our all-day excursions, we returned to our floating hotel. |
 |
| My first bowl of southern pho, back safely in Saigon. My readers should know that pho originated in the North of Vietnam but migrated to the South and eventually evolved into a more spicy, flavorful, fragrant soup than that of the North. I was thrilled to finally try it! |
 |
| Yes, my mom actually allowed me to drive her around on my motorbike. For those of you who know that she might be the world's biggest backseat driver (of course I mean that in the most loving way possible, Mom!), she was remarkably calm and helpful for most of the rides! I was so proud! |
 |
| Plus she brought me a whole suitcase of goodies from home! I was so happy! |
 |
| Yes, of course she brought Travel Scrabble! |
 |
| And new sheets, THANK GOODNESS. |
 |
| She even made my bed for me, because she has missed getting to do all the Mom stuff that she usually does! |
 |
| What can I say? A girl needs her all-natural deodorant, calcium supplements, and gummy vitamins!!! |
 |
| No, this was not for me. I am not THAT much of a candy-phile. This is the Halloween candy she brought for my students! |
 |
| This, however, was for me. Annie's Mac & Cheese (as well as Kraft), muesli, and even some Halloween-themed Pez! |
 |
| And of course, on the practical side of gifts, she brought me my winter peacoat and my Uggs. Ha Tinh gets COLD in the winter and I was so unprepared! |
 |
| Oh yeah, and one of the best gifts of all? Purchased straight from the L'Oreal Company Store by my thoughtful and color-conscious older sister, a new gaggle of colors to add to my collection. I have already used the "Going Incognito" (dark green, second from right) and the "Mint Candy Apple" (mint green, third from left- this was more of a replenishment for my pre-existing Mint Candy Apple than a new color) and am in love with both! |
 |
| On our last night together, we had a delicious feast of Vietnamese foods. |
I miss my mom already, and it surely would be nice to have her here to be my nurse during this yucky sinus infection, but it was so nice to have Mom-time and show her the country that I have been calling home!
Glad my back seat driving wasn't too offensive; at least I did ask if you had your headlight on! Enjoy all the goodies and your coat and boots and nail polish - the new color looked great. And I wish I could bring you hot chicken pho to get you better - fortunately you know good places to get it for yourself. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete