Whenever I am at the market, I always see my students walking away with what look to be fresh-out-of-the-oven baguettes (Parisian style) wrapped in paper.
"I'll never eat a whole baguette by myself before it goes stale!" I have reasoned with myself. Furthermore, trying to avoid a new unnecessary carb in my life, I've tended to avoid the baguette stand in lieu of buying lots of fresh vegetables and proteins.
However, last night, my friend and fellow Fulbrighter, Kelly, posted a picture on her blog of her home-made garlic bread, and I realized that, YES, I want that too!!
So today I woke up early, went to the market, and bought my first baguette. However, this post is not about the discovery of the baguette stand (whose baguettes are, indeed, delicious, buttery, flaky, and warm). This post is about the fact that the baguette woman also has a huge platter of donuts that she sells at the same stand.
The combination of donuts + baguettes may be the single-most dangerous discovery I have made at the market yet. No, I did not buy any donuts today. I tried to remind myself that the home-made garlic bread would be my culinary treat of the day, and that after several breakfasts of banh muot (spring rolls wrapped in noodles, my other new guilty pleasure here) this past week, I probably did not need deep-fried balls of dough covered in sugar. However, now that I know where they are located, it is only a matter of time before I succumb to donut heaven.
Oh, wait, you thought this blog was about me living and teaching in Vietnam while trying to pick up on bits and pieces of French culture that are present all around me? Uh... no.... you've got the wrong person. This blog is about me giving in to culinary temptation and eating the most unhealthy (but delicious) combination of foods possible. Sorry for the confusion!

since you can't have Pie's croissant's or the Black Dog's french toast you have absolutely no choice but to have fresh home made donuts every 3rd day just to keep your sweet tooth in shape. Enjoy!
ReplyDelete