Public places in Vietnam where I have unexpectedly burst into tears, and where Vietnamese people have been unsure of how to deal with the spectacle of the American traveller and her emotional outbursts:
- Da Nang bus station
- American Embassy, Hanoi (as of this morning)
After a 9-hour bus ride from Ha Tinh to Hanoi, I have arrived and am making progress on the visa/work permit/legal documents dilemma.
It is nice to be back in such a comforting city that is the closest thing to "going home" for some R&R.
I have already walked around Hoan Kiem Lake, bought street food, saw one of the three brown dust-mop puppies that sit outside a certain store on my walking route, made friends with an old, deaf Vietnamese man and tried to communicate with him, and took pictures of a huge black lab chasing after two chihuahuas, one of whom was wearing a full ensemble.
Oh yeah, and I also saw one of the donut vendors cleverly installed in front of a group of women doing morning aerobics by the lake. Very shrewd business sense, but not very ethical.
Today, burgers and Mexican food for lunch. Tomorrow, Thanksgiving extravaganza at the US Ambassador's house.
I still haven't slept and will crash soon, but hopefully I'll at least make it long enough to enjoy burgers before I take a lovely Rising Dragon hotel bed nap.
More Hanoi observations to come!

Enjoy your nap and good job on getting the document notarized. Frustration and tears often go together so some well earned tears might make you feel better. Love you honey, Mom
ReplyDelete