Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Getting out of my sicky doldrums

If there was anything that would lift my spirits (and drag me out of my sick-bed), it would be the Halloween party which I've been anxious, tense, and stressed about for the past few weeks. Was it a success? I guess so, if you define success solely as 400+ people showing up(!). Did it go the way I wanted it to? Absolutely not! But it seemed like people were satisfied and very excited to be there.

Here are some pictures to capture the spirit of our big event:
Yes, my students designed this poster! Incredible (and scary), huh?
10 scary Jack-o-Lanterns! Yes, my students did these completely by themselves! I was so impressed! 
Here is the banner they made with spray paint! Very creative!
Scary home-made masks!
And witches' hats! 
Lots and lots of candy! (226 pieces of candy in the big plastic jar- yes, we did a guessing game. The closest guess was 220 pieces, and I am truly hoping that she shared all of that with her friends, or that is one sugar-intoxicated student on the loose!)
Here is the finished banner!

Not entirely sure what this is... but my students seemed adamant that we needed a "scary cave." Well...
Equally unsure of this sculpture's significance, but it is the entrance-way to the party. I guess it is kind of like walking into a ghost's mouth to enter?
Balloons and decor!
Scary Jack-o-Lanterns!


The artists and their creations!





I didn't have the heart to tell my students that their home-made witches' hats were also eerily reminiscent of KKK outfits, but I will assure you, my loyal readers, that that realization did not slip past me! 
And now... on-to the party! Here is Mr. Duc with his daughter.
Here is my friend and colleague, Dao, putting on her mask!
Chi Nhen, Chi Hang, and Chi Hang's son, Anh.
Masked boys.
Legitimately creepy costumes and makeup. Some students got REALLY into it!
Witches/ghosts/historical impersonators? Not so sure...
Yes... the party drew quite a crowd!
Not that I enjoyed playing English teacher, police-woman, babysitter, master of ceremonies, and crowd control, but hey, somehow, I managed!
Candidates for the "Best Scary Costume" contest! Who would you vote for? Me and Mr. Duc (the two Costume Contest judges) decided on Tinh, the spooky ghostly woman second from the right.
Winners of (from L-R) "Prettiest Costume," "Funniest Costume," "Scariest Costume," and "Most Creative Costume."


And then we trick-or-treated... they had to pull a slip of paper out of the bag and do whatever trick (mostly Halloween tongue twisters and rhymes) the paper instructed.










And what Vietnamese party is complete without karaoke???
Or an impromptu conga line/dance party...?


Here are some students in the mysterious "Scary Cave."
Then I joined the fun! (Can you find me in my bird costume?)

Then the necessary million photo-ops that make me feel like a celebrity...

Mr. Duc looks stoic and/or less-than-thrilled...




Let me explain... I had e-mailed Jens, last year's Fulbright ETA at Ha Tinh University, and asked if he wouldn't mind recording a quick "Happy Halloween" video for me to play for the students (who are obsessed/enamored with him) at the party. He went above and beyond my expectations, dressed up in a Batman costume, spoke Vietnamese, and did a silly dance. The students went BALLISTIC. It might as well have been the Backstreet Boys (or Asia's equivalent) for the way they were shrieking and applauding when the video came on the projector. At the end of the party, they were all posing with the still-shot which was projected from Powerpoint. Here is Dung feeding Jens some Skittles. Precious, right?


Jens in all his glory! (I hope he won't mind that I posted the picture of him dancing, but hey, at least I didn't post the whole video!!!!)
Happy Halloween to everyone!!


So, there. The party is completed. I will casually and stealthily tiptoe away from any future party that Ha Tinh University asks me to throw, because that was complicated and stressful. I was annoyed when 432943974 children of faculty members showed up (what? now I have to babysit?), annoyed when stupid adolescent boys starting messing with the jack-o-lanterns and setting stuff on fire (seriously, you immature losers?), and annoyed that it was too loud and crowded for any of the English-speaking games to be understood.

However, I will still deem the party a grand success, and I can tell that everybody enjoyed. The best part of it? Receiving a text message from one of my students in K2B English (my Tuesday afternoon class who helped me plan the party and did all of the decorating, setting up, and cleaning up afterward) saying, "Hello, ms. allison. how are you today? last night were you tired? yeah, we are very tired, so we cant go to school in the afternoon. can you allow us to do it?" Ummmmm..... don't mind if I do!!!

I texted back and told her to make sure it was okay with Mr. Duc, but that it was fine with me (read: the best gift I could ever receive in my post-party, mid-sickness exhaustion), and her response was: "Yes, I know. don't worry about mr. duc. pray for your health, try your best, my dear teacher. :-)"

I love my students, and I love afternoons off from teaching. Took a four-hour nap and woke up starting to feel the slightest bit better.

Went to the grocery store and the supermarket, bought some fresh produce, orange juice, and healthy food options, and cooked myself a nutritious dinner of tofu, morning glory, ground pork, and rice. No more no-effort, quick, lazy dinners (read: spring rolls and rice) because I am too ill to put effort into cooking. It's time to get healthy!

Goodnight to all!

3 comments:

  1. A is for Allison and A is for AWESOME job Allie!!!!!

    I'll bet 10 years from now that Fulbright Vietnam is still talking about Allie's halloween party in Ha Tinh!

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Allison, your party looks awesome! Your students are so creative. I hoped that my students would dress up but their English is so limited that when I tried to explain the concept of a costume they just didn't get it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing - well done! The pictures are worth 1000 words - everyone seems to have had a terrific time. And the best part of being away prior to it is that the students did most of the heavy lifting, and will now have this in their bag of tricks. Thanks for posting the pictures. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete