Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Getting in the spirit of Thanksgiving

I have started creating my weekly Powerpoint Presentation, and naturally, this week's lesson is on Thanksgiving, my favorite American holiday by far.

However, I want to make the presentation interesting (and not take myself too seriously). Therefore, I am choosing to quickly skim past the Pilgrims, Plymouth Rock, and all that good stuff, and instead skip right to the Annual Presidential Turkey Pardon. I mean, can you think of a more necessary bit of information for my students to learn about Thanksgiving, than that one turkey per year gets to live out the rest of its life at a lovely petting zoo in the countryside?


Yes, we are going to watch this video for a listening exercise, and yes, I love being an English teacher so that watching Youtube videos in class is a perfectly legitimate use of time.

1 comment:

  1. Liberating a turkey, or sometimes even two, is a powerful message about freedom (at least for the turkey). Meanwhile, 14 turkeys paraded through our back yard yesterday on a slow stroll. I'm betting they know I don't own a gun, so that's 14 more turkeys that will survive the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete