I can't remember a Monday that has gone by since I've been here when I've been about to start working on my lesson plan and then I realize that something, some aspect, of my computer is broken or not working.
Two weeks ago it was the virus that I thought was going to be the end of my Mac days. Now my Trackpad is acting up, a problem that occurred about a year ago. Then, the Apple store gladly fixed the Trackpad by replacing it, and I haven't run into problems since. Except now. When I really need my computer to work efficiently so I can get my lesson plan done.
Solution: frantically text my student, Sang, who is excellent with computers. "Where can I buy a portable mouse, and how much should it cost?" He directs me to a computer store near campus and tells me a portable mouse should be about 50,000VND ($2.50). The store is out of portable mouses. He knows of one other store. We go. It is closed.
I realize that he is incredibly well-meaning, but will be no of no help in quickly finding a solution since he does not seem to know of any other options. I leave him behind and race to the electronics section of the supermarket.
380,000VND ($19) later, I now own a "fancy" (yet still a knockoff) wireless mouse. Of course when I return home, my Trackpad is back to normal and working just fine.
Ok, crisis averted? Maybe? At least now I have a back-up mouse if my Trackpack ever goes haywire again. Until then, I am out about $20 which is approximately two weeks' worth of food here.
Do not get upset. Do not get upset. Keep moving. Write your lesson plan. Go take your laundry out of the washing machine. Do not get upset. Do not freak out. Do not panic. My salary is enough to cover a $20 expense every now-and-then, even if the expense seems unnecessary or indulgent. Breathe.
Update: In fact, no, do not take your laundry out of the washing machine because the washing machine has been unplugged since about 2 minutes after I put my laundry in. How do I know this? My clothes are still dry and covered in blue laundry detergent gel. Who would walk into the laundry room RIGHT after I left, see the washing machine in use, and unplug it? Vietnamese mysteries, for sure, but considering the fact that I woke up early with the intention of getting a head start on my laundry, I have now wasted 2 hours of my day when the laundry was just sitting in the machine, not being washed.
Ah, this country.
If there are any positive realizations that come out of this experience of technology failing me, it's that I am definitely learning how to be proactive and solution-oriented. Computer has a virus? Call Dad, and download an anti-virus to clean up the hard-drive. Mouse doesn't work? No time to burst into tears. Go buy a new one. Laundry still not done? No time to freak out. Turn the machine back on, re-start the cycle, and wait another hour for it to finish washing (hopefully with no interruptions or disturbances this time). I am getting so much better at simply moving and reacting instead of allowing myself to get paralyzed by overwhelming frustration.
This is either a) a sign of growing up, or b) a sign of living in a country where I am completely on my own and need to solve my own problems because nobody else seems to know how to help me, or c) all of the above.
In any case, I never thought that I'd be so independent and calm when problems arise. But hey, look at me now!

And the answer is (c) all of the above! Way to go in the world of problem solving. Challenges and frustrations will always arise, and it's your choice if you stay frustrated, or knock them out of the park like a David Ortiz homerun. It seems you're knocking them out of the park where they won't bother you. Good work - see you soon. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete