Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Last blog entry about Da Nang, I promise!

While I was in Da Nang and Hoi An, I was able to go to the beach three days in a row, and enjoy splendid weather for all three of them. What paradise!!

of the three days, my first day in Da Nang was the cloudiest, so apparently the beach wasn’t good enough for just about anyone else. It was completely empty!!
the next day was more fun because I had the lovely company of my friends MJ and Brittanye!    
we went in the late afternoon, so the shadows were lovely, and the sun was nice and bright!    
my last beach day took place in Hoi An, and the beach was splendid, albeit a bit more populated by tourists than I was anticipating. No matter, the weather was gorgeous, and I went for a fabulous beach walk and swam in some pretty big waves.
Hannah, this picture is for you. I perfectly positioned my chair so that my face would not burn but my body would still get some sun. 
there were also three playful puppies who were hanging out right by my chair!    
I think the one on the right feels left out.
Besides eating and going to the beach and gazing at sweet playful pups, I also spent some time walking around the cities of Da Nang and Hoi An and taking in the sites.

Provencial France or Da Nang? Anybody’s guess, but the reality is that this was taken outside of Maria’s window.     
Maria and MJ in front of one of many lively and lit-up buildings in Da Nang City    
this sort of reminds me of the Zakim Bridge in Boston, except that it flashes colored LED lights at night. Sorry, Boston, but Da Nang wins that battle…

many Fulbrighters reunited! MJ, Brittanye, Lam, Adelina, Kelly, and Maria at the bus stop in Da Nang.
And then we made it to Hoi An!
which is, after all… the city of tailor-made clothing and made-to-order shoes! Unfortunately, I refrained from shopping, but I will certainly be back to Hoi An once again to make  some serious purchases.
we made it to the famous Japanese Covered Bridge, whose location dates back several hundred years. The bridge has since been restored and rebuilt, however.
the bridge is guarded on one side by dog gods and on the other side by monkey gods. Here I am with a monkey, one of man’s closest relatives (stone rendering, of course).
Hoi An is known for its historic temples, buildings, and meeting halls.
it is also known for its paper lanterns. I absolutely fell in love with this art installation depicting the preservation of world heritage sites.
here is a fertility shrine with 12 blessed midwives that represent the 12 daily functions of babies (smiling, sleeping, crying, crawling, etc).
Oh, but did you think that after I arrived in Hoi An (and left Bread of Life), I started to eat badly once again? Well you are very much mistaken.

DONUTS!
WITH SUGAR!
pork and shrimp won-tons, one of Hoi An’s three main specialty dishes!    
white rose shrimp dumplings, the second of Hoi An’s three main specialty dishes!
cao lau noodles with pork rind croutons, the third of Hoi An’s three main specialty dishes! I loved all three of them.
perfectly seasoned morning glory stems
and of course, a taro-root cookie stuffed with green bean paste. I loved it!

Okay, and now that is all. My lesson plan is completed, my laundry is hanging to dry, my kitchen is wiped down, my room is clean, my Vietnamese lesson is over, and it is time for bed.

Goodnight to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment