Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

readjusting to culture shock

I am going through some severe culture shock right now, readjusting to my normal Senegalese life away from the Radisson Blu.

I forgot about showering with cold water from a bucket because I really enjoyed that luxurious week of hot running water.

I forgot about the bugs in my house and how I sweat all the time because there is no such thing as air conditioner, and how breakfast only consists of bread and butter (not a delicious breakfast buffet), and how I have to take slow, crowded, frustrating public transportation instead of marginally-less-frustrating private taxis, and how I have to wash my clothes by hand (also with a bucket).

I am not complaining. Well, I am a little, but I'm not mad or upset. I just am a little reminiscent of the version of me that existed a week ago, before I was reminded that such luxuries existed in Senegal. I had already adjusted to cold water showers and bread and butter breakfasts, but now I feel like I'm back at square one, as if I just entered the country and have to adjust all over again.

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I miss western comforts.

4 comments:

  1. You'll get it back before you know it. Sorry if we corrupted you with too much comfort. You were a great hostess and you were incredibly gracious and graceful about making sure Jenna and I were comfortable. Thank you for making so much time for us and sharing your Senegalese life with us.

    You'll get used to the heat and luke warm bucket of water to shower with, just like you're able to converse comfortably with English, French, and Woolif speakers. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done it once and prospered; you'll do it a second time and do it even better. Your strong; your smart and your incredibly adaptive.

    Go argue with the street vendor over a mango tomorrow morning and when he calls you a baol-baol or whatever, tell him politely in Wolof "I'm no simple toubab, I value my money just like you!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with you for getting used to it at all! You're amazing and keep having an awesome time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's often hardest after you re-discover the creature comforts of home. I remember not being homesick at all when I studied abroad... until my parents came to visit. And I didn't even have the major cultural differences that you had (I was bummed because my soda didn't come with ice... I exaggerate, but sort of). Keep on, keeping on Allie! We love reading about it.

    ReplyDelete