So Ryan started this game that we like to refer to as "Food Porn," where we all sit around and describe in vivid, graphic detail what foods we would like to be eating right now, and then that usually results in audible moans and other accompanying noises. Some frequent fantasies for us are macaroni and cheese, salad, and candy (more specifically: Air-Heads).
Last night we had a very rousing game of food porn right before we all left each other for dinner, in hopes that it would get us so hungry that no matter how good or bad or unappetizing our dinners were, we would be too hungry to care.
However, when I got home, Maman presented me with a bowl of fataaya (fried fish dumplings) and a bowl of cut-up fruit (apples, grapes, and papaya). No bread or meat or fish bones... it was wonderful and EXACTLY what I wanted for dinner. I kept telling her, "Maman, you can't be serious! This is perfect! This is so good!" so hopefully she learns from my indirect compliments that THAT is what I want to eat all the time, and no more animal bones.
In other news:
"Maangi tudd Aicha Binete... uma tudd toubab." 10 points for whoever can guess what this Wolof catch phrase means??? 10 points for me whenever I get up the courage to use it, the next time someone calls me a toubab on the street!

Hopefully I can get 5 points because I know that Aicha Binete is your Senegalese name. So I'm guessing you're saying, "My name is Aicha Binete,please don't call me toubab" or something to that effect. Do I get the whole 10 points? On that note, off to look for Air Heads so you don't have to moan about them!
ReplyDeleteI was actually thinking of you last night at dinner with customers when one of them ordered cedar plank salmon with green miso sauce. I ended up with wasabi encrusted yellowfin on a bed of asian greens. The other guy got a prime sirloin with red chimmichurri sauce.
ReplyDeleteHow is that for food porn :)?
On a more positive note Moraccan food is very vegetable intensive; lots of tomato/herb cucumber salads and it also has delicious ground meat dishes so you'll get a good break then.
Anyways - you can always duck into dinner next week with Mommy and Jenna for a change of pace.
Did you eat the Kraft mac & cheese yet? If so, how was it?
ReplyDelete