Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

current biggest grievance in Senegal

What cultural difference annoys me the most while being here:

I think currency and money works differently here in Senegal than in the US. In the US, the Mint prints and shreds money on a daily basis, and banks are always getting new packets of bills and rolls of coins, which they then distribute to restaurants and stores, freely.

However, this concept does not exist here, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get change ("le monnaie") anywhere in this country! The maddeningly ironic part is that ATMs give out 10,000 franc bills (the equivalent of 20 American dollars), yet 10,000 francs can buy so much here, so that is considered a lot of money (probably more the equivalent of a 100-dollar-bill, in terms of annoying-ness), and it is IMPOSSIBLE to spend the 10,000 franc bill ANYWHERE.

When you are in a taxi and ask the driver if he can make change for your 5,000 franc bill, he can't make change because he doesn't have any. When you are out to dinner and want to change your 5,000 franc bill for 1,000 bills so you can pay the exact amount, there is no change. When you want to buy a water bottle (300 francs) with a 1,000 franc bill, the clerk looks at you like you are ruining her day by having to give you 700 francs in change. Every single time people ask you, "You don't have exact change?"

NO!!!!!! How am I supposed to have exact change to buy all of these things if no one gives out change?!?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. Its a toubab scam! Same thing in India where getting change for a 1000 Rupee bill ( ~25$ US)is impossible for an American.

    I had a taxi driver scream and curse at me and refuse to let me out of the cab at 4 AM when I asked for change back from my 1000 rupee bill. I also got cursed at for giving only a 200 R$ tip.

    Of course when I was traveling w/ workmates from the same area none of that nonsense occurred and they give a miserly 25 R$ tip with no complaint from the driver.

    Each time I went I would get my 1000 R$ bills at the airport and ask the hotel concierge to break one down into 100's, 50's and 20's. perhaps you can go to a bank with a couple 10,000 franc bills and ask them to make you change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I had to tip the hotel van driver 5000 cfe for our ride to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the grocery clerks in Prague would basically curse us out for buying our groceries with the equivalent of a $20 bill. Ahhh, frustrations.

    ReplyDelete