Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Friday, October 9, 2009

bienvenue a senegal

So if I continue to laugh at how ridiculous this whole internship thing has become, it is the only way to deal with my frustration, so I will stage this blog entry in the most humorous light, because I honestly cannot sanely look at it in any other way.

So I showed up at 10 AM for my meeting with the psychiatrist doctor who allegedly was going to finally assign me to my internship. However, after waiting for 15 minutes, the secretary's door was still locked, and the psychiatrist's door was still locked, and even the library door was still locked. So I called Waly to ask what I should do, and he called Madame Sow, the secretary, who told him that today is Global Mental Health Awareness Day so the entire psychiatric staff is at a conference advocating for mental healthcare reform.

It surely would have been nice and helpful had the doctor mentioned that to me before he told me to show up to meet him at 10........................................................

Waly, bless his heart, can tell how frustrated I am, and is definitely trying to make me see the humor in all of this by sprinkling our conversations with "Bienvenue a Senegal, c'est bizarre!" Still, I am starting to wonder if maybe it was a bad idea to leave the beaten track and to search for my own internship in my own field of interest. Maybe it would have been easier and more sure if I had just picked one of the internships that were already lined-up and available for us, even if the fields interest me less.

So now I will be showing up to the hospital on Monday, for my 5th day searching for answers. I can only imagine that EVENTUALLY I'll find something out.




In other news, Shannon, Bobby, and I went to Just4U last night to listen to Souleymane Faye, this Senegalese jazz/funk/reggae singer who was just really awesome. I think it was a good idea for me to get out of the house and have some fun after such a blah day.

I think today we are going to watch Aziz play soccer, which shall be lovely.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should get out of the house also and enjoy your time; don't let the bureaucracy and incompetency get you down; your mentally strong and mentally smart and will eventually persevere through all the BS. Keep pushing and do it your way!

    Maybe you can name one of the chix Butterscotch after the one on the farm here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're at the point where things are so frustrating it's humorous. Although maybe it's better you get to that point sooner rather than later? And jazz/funk/raggae sounds like a salve to cure all wounds. Hope it looks up from here!

    See if you can jump in, and join the soccer game. It's my favorite way of connecting with locals! : )

    ReplyDelete