Some preliminary thoughts...
- Allison B.
- Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
- Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!
Thursday, January 19, 2012
An elephantastic day
I am just finishing Day 1 at the Royal Elephant Kraal in Ayutthaya, Thailand.
Without a doubt, I made the right choice to spend the majority of my vacation time + money here. This might be one of the coolest non-profit organizations I have ever had the honor to help, and I can already see myself not wanting to leave on Saturday night.
I have been assigned to work with Pisamy who is a 65-year-old female and is incredibly loving. I have already ridden Pisamy twice, given her two baths, and fed her lots of cucumbers, pineapples, and grass. I have learned some of the basic commands in Thai (stop, go, left, right, good job, remember, etc.) and tomorrow will be inducted into the fine art of scooping poop.
Oh well, if that's what is involved in caring for an elephant, then I am willing to do my part for a few days. I 100% respect and admire Ewa and Michelle who run this elephant village full-time, as well as the long-term volunteers.
As I mentioned to my parents, I can easily see myself getting sucked into this elephant cult, drinking the elephant kool-aid, and never coming back to the States if it means that I can stay here, work, and live with Pisamy. Yes, you know I really have gone over to the dark side...
I am off to sleep now to the sounds of elephants rumbling and trumpeting outside my window. Waking up bright and early for cleaning duty amongst some of the kindest, quirkiest, most passionate elephant-loving people I have ever met. Ah, this is the life I can get used to...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment