Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Newfound empathy

I am beginning to understand a bit what it might feel like to have fibromyalgia, or some other equally mysterious, undiagnosable, possibly (but not definitely) psycho-somatic syndrome. You're in chronic pain, you go to the doctor, take lots of tests, but everyone keeps saying that "you're probably fine" and "we can't find anything wrong" and "maybe psychotherapy is the answer?"

NO. PSYCHOTHERAPY IS NOT THE ANSWER, AND I AM NOT INSANE. FDIFDSHFLDSFSDLKFHADSLKFHDSKLFHSDALKFHSDLKFHSDAKFHASDKLFHASDLKFDSAHLKFSHDLFKADSHLKFDSAHLFKDASHLFDSHFLKSHFLSDKAFHADSLKHFKDHF.

(Yes, that is how I am feeling right now, and I imagine that this is how fibromyalgia patients must feel when nobody is able to identify or cure their symptoms without some thinly-veiled insinuation that it might be all in their head and that, in fact, nothing is the matter.)

Once again, my motorbike has been repaired. This time, at the official Yamaha shop. But once again, upon leaving the shop, the bike will not start.

Dare I suggest that it is time to buy a new bike? If every mechanic keeps telling me that there's nothing wrong with the motorbike, but it still continues to start only 50% of the time, that's not a high enough probability for me to feel confident to drive long distances (aka: anywhere off my main street, which would eliminate the supermarket, the beach, any restaurants outside of walking distance, massages, friends' houses, etc) where I would have to get rescued if it were to not start.

So, needless to say, I'm feeling frustrated that a) nobody is able to identify a problem with my motorbike or b) even validate how annoying this must be for me, and that c) I am confined to stay within a ~1 km-distance from my apartment in case the bike breaks down again and I have to walk it home.

At least before the bike broke down again, I was able to stop at the supermarket for ground pork and Barilla pasta, so western spaghetti night is still happening for dinner!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. sell this one to the Yamaha guy for 300 and buy the next one for 400?

    Dumb question ( been there/done this multiple times offshore and scared myself sick) - are you 100% sure you are in neutral when you try and start it? The neutral safety switch will kill the starting circle if it thinks the bike is not in neutral.

    ReplyDelete