Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Friday, December 30, 2011

Money well spent

As I may have mentioned once or twice in previous blog entries, Ha Tinh is really, really, really freaking cold. Cold enough that there was even a [falsely-forecasted] rumor of snow this past week!

And, as most of you may know about me, especially that parent of mine who patiently sat with me at the Tufts University re-visit day lecture, I like to wear flip-flops. And I like to wear them in January. Which is why I didn't go to Tufts. And why I didn't apply for a Fulbright to Mongolia. Or Siberia. Or Antarctica.

And which is also why, upon the arrival of winter in Ha Tinh, I have been S.O.L. since all I brought with me are sandals and little flimsy summer-y shoes, since I thought, "I'm going to live in Vietnam! It won't get cold there!" But I was wrong, and now my little feetsies have been chilly for the past few weeks.

So I had one goal for this weekend in Hanoi: buy cheap closed-toe shoes. Did I mean that I wanted to buy 3 different pairs? Probably not, but hey.

But today as I was waiting for MJ to arrive in Hanoi, I set off to Hang Dau Street, which is filled with stores upon stores of cheaply-made knock-off shoes.

To cut to the chase, I bought a pair of knock-off Toms (~$15), a pair of knockoff Converse (~$6), and a lovely pair of winter boots (~$11) that will just look so lovely with leggings or skinny jeans for being out-and-about in Ha Tinh.


Life is good, and my feet will be nice and toasty in the upcoming weeks in Ha Tinh.

2 comments:

  1. All three pairs are FABULOUS! Let's all make a toast to warm feeties in 2012! Enjoy your new beautiful shoes and boots and your weekend in Hanoi. And yes, I knew you weren't going to Tufts as soon as the Tufts president said, "Parents, lighten up, Tufts isn't for everyone, there are some kids who want to wear flip flops in January." And I happen to be the proud mother of one of them. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete