Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tell me what's your fantasy

Fellow Fulbrighter, Andrea, has come up with a clever (and mouth-watering) way to psych herself up for her return home: an I-CAN'T-WAIT-TO-EAT-THIS-AS-SOON-AS-I-GET-HOME list.

Of course, I've been salivating over these unquenchable desires all year, but now that my return is only 9 days away, I can start thinking tangibly about some of these foods that I've absolutely dreamed of!

Behold, my own version of the I-CAN'T-WAIT-TO-EAT-THIS-AS-SOON-AS-I-GET-HOME list (in no particular order):

- chicken scallopini with extra capers and extra tomatoes
- stuffed quahogs from Green Pond Seafood
- toasted everything bagel with chive cream cheese and smoked salmon
- fresh tuna and striped bass (caught by Dad, or, better yet, caught by ME!)
- Nana's homemade brisket (to be satisfied upon my visit with Cousin Leah on June 15!)
- slice of apple-and-cheddar pizza from Paul's Pizza in Falmouth OR barbecue chicken pizza from the Captain Kidd
- Peking raviolis
- mole poblano chicken burrito from Daniella's Cantina
- real deli pickles (whole-sour, NOT half-sour)
- bread pudding with raisins and rum hard sauce (fresh out of the oven) from Pie In The Sky
- a spinach-and-feta croissant from Pie In The Sky
- raspberry-key-lime bars OR a Chocolate Wonder Bar from Pie In The Sky
- okay, come to think of it... ANYTHING from Pie In The Sky
- SALAD! WITH WALNUTS! AND GOAT CHEESE!
- garlic bread (not picky about the kind)
- hot dogs cooked on an outdoor barbecue, preferably on Cape Cod, preferably on the 4th of July (but before then would also be just fine with me!)
- a perfect steak (filet mignon would be nice, but I won't hold my breath unless somebody really nice and generous is treating! Dad??)
- green beans with slivered almonds
- onion rings from the Flying Bridge
- baby carrots and raspberries, straight out of the green cardboard produce container
- reduced-fat string cheese
- Greek yogurt with honey
- a sushi date with Mom (not picky about where or what kind of sushi... wait, yes I am: spicy tuna roll is a requirement)
- a Cape-Codder cocktail at the Landfall (or five)
- a Dunkin Donuts iced latte
- In N Out burger and fries (this will probably have to wait until next year's visit to California, but I can keep dreaming)
- a BLT or a bacon-egg-and-cheese on wheat (or, hey, why not both?)
- crunchy ground beef tacos (made by Mom)
- homemade New England ice cream, either from Kimball's or Smitty's (black raspberry chip frozen, please)
- Polar seltzer (any flavor), straight out of Mom's fridge, and not even getting yelled at for drinking from the bottle
- oh, and while we're on the subject of H2O beverages... TAP WATER! STRAIGHT FROM THE SINK!

Minus In-N-Out Burger, a desire which will continue to be put on hold (much to my disappointment, of course), I wonder how long it will take me to fulfill all of these cravings. A week? A month?

I'm sure I'll be keeping my blog up for a month or two after my arrival in order to document any experiences with re-acculturation, and I am happy to keep all of you, my loyal blog readers, updated on all of the wonderful culinary delights of the West that I try as soon as I can get my hands on them.

The best part (and the reason I don't feel guilty) about such a gluttonous list of foods to eat ASAP? When I return home, I am eagerly planning to re-establish my place within "gym rat" culture! I am so excited to step back onto an elliptical machine and to unfurl a yoga mat- possibly just as excited as I am to eat tons of specialty pizza! I am anticipating that by Sunday, after a full 24 hours of sleeping off my jet lag (and eating as many foods as possible from this list), my body will be itching to get back into the swing of a normal and fulfilling exercise pattern!

Good food and good exercise, I'm coming home to you so soon!

1 comment:

  1. Dad is certainly up for a *.Pie run, a fish or three or 10 and of course either a steak dinner or even better an Anejo event. Not to mention Oak Bluffs, The Black Dog and Larsen's in Menemsha.

    Don't forget the Great Pond puppy dog run in your training regimen!

    ReplyDelete