Here are a couple small victories I have achieved lately that deserve to be validated/celebrated:
- Speaking a complete sentence ("I go to Hoan Kiem Lake") in Vietnamese to the hotel staff working at the front desk.
- Navigating my way back from Hoan Kiem Lake on my own after going for an early-morning walk there. (and not getting lost!!!)
- Making friends with the woman at my favorite rice-and-point stall to the point where she anticipates what I am going to order, and points to it as if to say, "Fried peanuts again today? I know how much you love them!"
- Walking the ~3ish mile walk back from school to the hotel today without getting lost!
- Navigating the streets of Hanoi to figure out dinner with Sasha tonight, and trying a new food that I had never eaten/heard of before. It was delicious!
I am exhausted and pretty grumpy, but I know it's important to remember the small steps that I achieve every single day (even every single hour!) that lead to ultimate success.
Homesickness is definitely getting the better of me, as well as a what-the-fuck-am-I-doing feeling which has been waxing and waning ever since I've gotten here.
Hanoi is beginning to frustrate me with the constant traffic, lack of personal space, and of course the language barriers. If I had to guess, I would imagine that I am right here in terms of cultural adjustment:
Not sure if I've hit the all-time low quite yet, but I am definitely feeling down. According to my helpful handbook entitled Survival Kit for Overseas Living, some of the best skills to cultivate in order to combat culture shock and cultural fatigue are:
- tolerance for ambiguity
- low goal/task orientation
- open-mindedness
- nonjudgementalness
- empathy
- communicativeness
- flexibility, adaptibility
- curiosity
- sense of humor
- warmth in human relationships
- motivation
- self-reliance
- strong sense of self
- tolerance for differences
- perceptiveness
- ability to fail
Perhaps for the next 16 days, I will set each of these personal skills to be one daily goal. Therefore, I think the first one that I will work on is ability to fail (hey, who said I had to go in order?!) because I need to constantly be reminding myself that there is no way that I will be perfect at this experience and that I am allowed to make mistakes.
With that said, I leave you all for my much-desired rest and rejuvenation. Goodnight, all!


On the plus side I look at that list of 16 and see you excel already at at least half of them.
ReplyDeleteThe glass is half full already! Sleep tight!
I'm so glad you have this list to focus on. And as you focus on your ability to fail, remind yourself that you made it to the Lake and back, by yourself, and ordered your own food, and succeeded at all of those things. So, you don't know as many Vietnamese vocabulary words as the other people. Poobah. Maybe they didn't notice an eight person massage train or all those wonderful dogs. You're on the right track sweetie, and I agree that you're where you're supposed to be on the cultural adjustment curve. The first two weeks, everything was new and different and exciting and now reality is setting in. So glad you're paying attention and it also reminds us there will be another phase after this! So much love for you from MA, Mom
ReplyDelete