Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

And then there was... me.

So here I go onto the next phase of my journey. I am flying solo (in the proverbial sense, as well as the literal sense) for the next 9 months, and it is a really scary feeling to know that for this adventure, my biggest and most reliable resource will be myself.

I am nervous about a million things, and excited about most of those same million things as well. I'm also, dare I say it, sad to leave the cushiness of this orientation in Hanoi, with a wonderful hotel and hotel staff, 14 wonderful fellow Fulbrighters, and tons of western amenities whenever we needed them.

Tonight I will be in Hanoi alone, and it is a weird feeling to truly be alone in a place. I am hoping to go to the Hoa Lo Prison Museum this afternoon, and I will go for a run tonight around the lake for one last time. It is weird, being alone, not to be accountable to anyone or anything. No one will know or care if I do or do not go to the Museum, or if I do or do not go for a run, or if, on the contrary, I decide to stay in my room and waste my whole last day. For this reason, I want to be stricter on myself about setting a daily routine and schedule, so that I do not become complacent, lazy, and reclusive by accident, once I get to Ha Tinh.

Alright, the first step in accomplishing this goal is to take a shower, meet my friends for one last lunch before everyone leaves, and then start my day of wandering Hanoi. I will write more later!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great - keep up the good work. Safe travels onto Ha Tinh. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being alone also means no one will judge you if you choose to be lazy. I realize I'm several days (or half a month) after the fact, but you've experienced a lot that's new, and taking time for yourself and taking time to process isn't such a bad thing either.

    ReplyDelete