Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Thursday, December 3, 2009

unrelated to being abroad, but excited nonetheless

So I am registered for classes next semester, and I got into all 5 that I want! Look, look, look:



For those who cannot read the pixelated, small print, I will be taking "Assessment and Psychopathology," "Abnormal Psychology," "All Power to the People," "Revolution as a Creative Process," and "Radicals, Revolutionaries, and Terrorists."

Next semester will be AWESOME!

In other news, here is a typical Senegalese conversation that Shannon and I had with a bookstore shopkeeper the other day:

Shannon and me: do you have a copy of this certain book that we're looking for?

Shopkeeper: no, but we can order it for you

Shannon and me: when can you have it in by?

Shopkeeper: by Monday, insha'allah

Shannon and me: No, seriously, when can you have it in by, no insha'allah?

Shopkeeper: like I said, we can have it on Monday, insha'allah.

Shannon and me: What does that even mean?! Will you have it or not? This matter does not depend on G-d! Can't you know if and when you'll have it!

Shopkeeper: Here in Senegal, everything depends on G-d.

---End of conversation---

2 comments:

  1. I guess that's equivalent to in the US, where they might have to wait for the UPS, FedEx, or mail to deliver something. Over there, allah must control all those delivery services, so they can't make a commitment to have a book on Monday if they don't control the delivery service. Hang tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I dare you to use this in the United States.

    Teacher: Allie, when will you have this paper to me?

    Allie: Friday, insha'allah. [Shrug shoulders and walk off]

    Would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete