Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Friday, December 4, 2009

standing up for my rights

"Jox ma sama weccit."

In Wolof, that means, "Give me my change." Although I only learned it yesterday in the Wolof unit of bartering at a marketplace, this phrase would have come in handy so much sooner to enhance my experience here in Senegal.

A problem I have in a lot of places, especially on the cars rapides, is that people think I'm a dumb white girl who doesn't know how much things costs. For example, if I give the car rapide conductor a 100 franc coin for my 75 franc fare, oftentimes he won't give me change. Likewise, if I give a 100 and a 50 for my 125 franc fare, I won't get the 25 francs change either. It isn't that I'm hurting for that extra 25 francs (although I have taken to giving my change from cars rapides fares to the street children, so unfortunately on days when I don't get change, I have nothing to give them), but it's the principle that they think I don't know any better and that they can take advantage of me because I am white.

Oftentimes I'll say in French, "la monnaie?" or even just try to make eye contact or a hand gesture indicating that I want my change, and oftentimes the conductor avoids my eyes or pretends he does not understand. But yesterday after Wolof class, I got on the car rapide and gave him a 100 franc coin, and he turned away. I said to him, "Am nga sama weccit?" (= do you have my change?") and he begrudgingly dug into his pocket for my change.

Likewise, today at Marche Sandaga, on a search for a new iPod to get me through these next few weeks, I ended up paying 12,000 francs for a knockoff iPod (~24 USD - hey, pretty good, right??) and handed the guy 15,000. He looked at me and said, "Oh, so the rest is a gift for me?" and, pissed off enough about having to buy a new iPod, I said tersely and quickly, "Jox ma sama weccit leegi" (give me my money NOW). He instantly left to get my change.

I like this pro-active, self-assertive Wolof version of myself!

4 comments:

  1. You go Allie!


    "Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights" - Bob Marley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Allie - you are entitled to your change, so should always feel free to reminder them they owe it to you.
    Love, Mom
    PS I hope the new faux IPod works well enough to keep you company until you're back in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let us know how the new IPod is working - hopefully OK? Were you able to download all your music?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This totally qualifies for a "You go Grrrrrl!"

    ReplyDelete