Some preliminary thoughts...

My photo
Somerville, Massachusetts, United States
Finding the best places to eat and drink in my area! Check back for more!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

some cultural differences

Okay, so here is the situation: Like I may have mentioned earlier, everyone in Senegal speaks the native language Wolof which is definitely more commonly used than French, although most people speak enough French to have basic conversations with me. But the problem is that it is not considered culturally rude or inappropriate to speak another language in front of others that don't understand. Thus, a lot of the time I am just sitting there with my host family and their friends, and they all just talk in Wolof so obviously I can't understand most of it, save for a very select few words. It is really strange to feel so left out and unincluded and feel like SUCH an outsider.

Furthermore, the word in Wolof for "white person" and/or "foreigner" is "toubab." In the city where my university is, there are lots of students that are studying abroad, so I don't feel completely like an outsider who doesn't belong there, but when I am in my neighborhood which is more like a village, I am definitely the only person who looks like me, and I'll be walking down the street and all these kids (it's mostly kids, because I think adults have more experience having seen diversity, and/or kids don't know any better at that age) will yell "Toubab" and run up to me, or whisper it amongst themselves and point.

For a while, I thought this was an insult or some racial slur, but I asked my host mom, and she said it's not necessarily MEAN, but simply that it's exciting to see a foreigner who they're not used to. Either way, both the language barrier and the racial barrier have been making things frustrating, to say the least. It's really hard living here on a day-to-day basis and knowing that I will NEVER officially fit in. My friends and I were talking about how when you study abroad in Europe, by the end of the semester, sometimes you get mistaken for a French, Italian, or Spanish person, but here, there is no way that I can be mistaken for a native Senegalese. After a while, it gets exhausting to try so hard to be accepted by the culture but know that you will never fully succeed.



In happier, less pessimistic news, this weekend was Korite, which was the end of Ramadan. We had some giant feasts and all dressed up in beautiful traditional clothes (including me! see attached picture of me and my lovely host Maman) and I actually went out with Khady, my host sister, to hang out at her cousin's house. Her cousin happens to be this up-and-coming Senegalese fashion designer, so both Khady and the cousin were wearing gorgeous robes (and they both loved my dress - woohoo!!), but anyway, so we were hanging out with all these designers and models from Senegal, which was just so surreal and bizarre.

In other news, I have still been taking the cars rapides to school every day, and I feel like every single time I am on the car rapide, something of note happens. The other day a street brawl was going on as we drove by, so the car pulled over the driver and conductor got out and joined in the fight, leaving the car and the passengers just waiting for a few minutes. Then people were jumping off the car rapide and running across the street trying to break up the fight, and eventually the driver and conductor came back and resumed the voyage, but it was strange and unsettling nonetheless!! (See attached photo of the epicness of a Car Rapide... I took that from our balcony, so that is also the view from outside my house)

Okay, this entry is LONG but I feel like I have tons to say. I am going on a 5-day trip to Toubacouta, which is a more rural town inland. When I get back I will write an update, but until then, this will have to tide all my loyal readers over!


4 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience in Kenya and Tanzania. The Swahili word for white person is Mzungu. After wandering through town after town with people shouting it at me (and whispering it while pointing at me), it turned into a big joke. I felt like I was at the bar in Cheers, where everyone knew my name (Mzungu). And our guide also said it didn't have a negative connotation, and was just an observation. So own your toubab-ness, woman! : )

    I know it seems so hard, but it's such a good life experience to be on the outside... to know that no matter how hard you try to embrace the cultural norms, you will always be a little different. It's important because there are people who struggle with that in the US (even though we are such a diverse country), and you can use your wisdom and experiences to do what is in your power to make people feel included. Off the soapbox now...

    Seriously, I love reading about your adventures. Fights in foreign countries, though, that just stinks!

    And maybe you can come up with games to play in conversations where you can't understand a thing that is being spoken (e.g. if this were a soap opera, what would this conversation be about? etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking in. Hang in there, in a couple weeks you'll be cursing them back in Wolof; be ferocious and stay strong!

    The bus looks tame without people on top.

    I love your dress; looks great. Good on you to be at a party with the next Gisele!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous dress, Toubab!

    I am enjoying your stories about babies, buses, Wolof, fitting in, etc. What an amazing experience this is for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie, I love all your stories -- fights, models, Wolof, toubabs, and all of your insights about life in other parts of the world. You're learning so much!

    Here's a short version of a haggling story that happened to one of Andy's friends in the early 1970s in Iran. An American college student went to visit his Iranian friend. They went to the market to buy a sheepskin coat. The American found a coat he wanted, and the seller said the price would be 200 (whatever the currency was). The American was ready to pay it, but then his Iranian friend reprimanded the seller in Farsi, "My friend comes all the way from America and the best you can do for him is 200?" The seller lowered his price to 125. Then the Iranian friend's mother, witnessing the scene, came up to the seller and said in Yiddish, "A nice Jewish boy comes all the way from Philadelphia, and this is how you treat him?" "Okay," replied the seller. "50." And that was the ultimate price. I guess it wouldn't work for Nana to come over and negotiate in Yiddish for you to buy a mango, so it's a good thing that you have your own negotiation skills to get the price down. Anyway, be well. Lots of love -Aunt Toubab Barbara

    ReplyDelete